Friday, February 24, 2017

Alumni Memories: Mary Ryan



Today we have the first installment in our alumni series:

"My name is Mary Ruth Jacobsmeyer Ryan, and I graduated from Our Lady of Sorrows in 1936. In August of 1928, I turned five years old and started kindergarten at OLS. My kindergarten teacher's name was Mrs. Reed, but I only had her for one week. At the beginning of my second week of kindergarten, we were lining up to come in from recess when Sr. Delphina, the first grade teacher, saw me. She came up, grabbed me by the collar, and told me that I was going to be in first grade because I was too tall for kindergarten! Nobody thought it was odd at the time to skip kindergarten and be in first grade at five. So, in May of 1936, when I graduated from OLS, I was only 12 years old.

I'm sorry to see the school close. I have such fond memories of my years there."

Do you have any memories to share from your time at OLS? We'd love to hear them! Comment on this post, send us a Facebook message, or e-mail olsorrowsblog@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment